Saturday, October 25, 2008
If you have any additional information, please contact me. Thanks!
Milwaukee Public Library Central Branch
814 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53233
phone: (414) 286-3000
Monday - Wednesday, 9am to 8:30pm
Thursday - Saturday, 9am to 5:30pm
Sunday - 1 to 5pm (They are closed Sundays from May through September)
Parking information can be found here.
What You Can Find at the Milwaukee Public Library Central Branch
- Books about Germans, Milwaukee history, Germans in Milwaukee, histories of neighborhoods and churches, etc. Search the library catalog to discover what they have.
- Milwaukee City Directories in book form. Available in the Zeidler Humanities room.
- Large, historical maps of Milwaukee that include where buildings were on the map. (Milwaukee street names changed in the later part of the 1920s--around 1929, I think--so seeing historical maps from before and after will help your search tremendously). Available in the Zeidler Humanities room.
- City of Milwaukee Archives--Tax rolls, aldermen’s records and correspondence, 1862-1911. Available in the Zeidler Humanities room.
- Great Lakes Marine Collection--Thousands of historical items, photographs and information on 85,000 ships that sailed the Great Lakes. Available in the Zeidler Humanities room.
- Milwaukee Road Archives--Engineering drawings of engines, bridges and railroad structures. Available in the Zeidler Humanities room.
- Microfilm of Milwaukee newspapers, including The Milwaukee Journal, The Milwaukee Sentinel, German-language newspapers for Milwaukee, and so on. These newspapers can be found on microfilm in the Periodicals Department.
- Indexes to Milwaukee newspapers. The Milwaukee Area Necrology compiled by Manning M. Bookstaff can be used in the Zeidler Humanities room, as can Milwaukee's German Newspapers: an Index of Death Notices and Related Items compiled by Gary Rebholz . The Milwaukee Sentinel Card Index, 1837-1879; 1880-1890 and Death Notices/Obits, 1930s (?) - June 30, 1992 (available on microfilm) can be accessed in the Periodicals room. There are other indexes available as well.
- Government Documents--More than 1.5 million state and federal documents. Available in the Periodicals room.
The resources I enumerated above are only a few of the many available at the Milwaukee Public Library Central Branch. I could spend days there searching all that they have--and still need more time to finish my research! The staff is very friendly and helpful. Don't be afraid to ask them questions.